Kali Yuga (kalyug) – “Age of Vice”
Posted by VIBHOR MAHAJAN on [MAY 9, 2012](https://vibhormahajan.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/kali-yuga-kalyug-age-of- vice/)
“yada yada hi dharmasya
glanir bhavati bharata
tadatmanam srjamy aham” _ –_ **(bhagavad Gita, Chapter-4)**
“Sri Krishna said: “Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion—at that time I descend Myself.”
Kali Yuga (Kalyug) that is “age of (the demon) Kali”, or “age of vice” is the last of the four stages the world goes through as part of the cycle of yugas described in the Indian scriptures. The other ages are:-
1) Satya Yuga – In Hinduism, is the “Yuga (Age or Era) of Truth”, when mankind is governed by gods, and every manifestation or work is close to the purest ideal and mankind will allow intrinsic goodness to rule supreme. It is sometimes referred to as the “Golden Age.”
2) Treta Yuga – It is the second out of four yugas, or ages of mankind, in the religion of Hinduism. The most famous events in this yuga were Lord Vishnu’s fifth, sixth and seventh incarnations as Vamana,Parashurama and Ramachandra respectively.
3) Dvapara Yuga – It is the third out of four yugas, or ages, described in the scriptures of Hinduism. According to the Puranas this yuga ended at the moment when Krishna returned to his eternal abode of Vaikuntha.
- Kali Yuga According to Ramayana
“In the Kali Yuga, the hot-bed of sin, men and women are all steeped in unrighteousness and act contrary to the Vedas… every virtue had been engulfed by the sins of Kali Yuga; all good books had disappeared; impostors had promulgated a number of creeds, which they had invented out of their own wit. The people had all fallen prey to delusion and all pious acts had been swallowed by greed.”
- Kali Yuga According to Mahabharata
“… The ordinances of the Vedas disappear gradually in every successive age… the duties in the Kali age are entirely of another kind. It seems, therefore, that duties have been laid down for the respective age according to the powers of human beings in the respective ages.”
- Who is Kali?
Kali is the reigning lord of Kali Yuga and archenemy of Kalki, the 10th and final Avatar of the Hindu god Vishnu. According to the Vishnu Purana, he is a negative manifestation of Vishnu, who along with his extended evil family, perpetually operates as a cause of the destruction of this world.
- What happens after Kali Yuga?
It is predicted that at the end of the Kali Yuga, Lord Shiva shall destroy the universe and all the physical body would undergo a great transformation. After such dissolution, Lord Brahma would recreate the universe and mankind will become the ‘Beings of Truth’ once again.