I must admit, Linux Power Management is Fuckin’ Pathetic.
On a Dell XPS M1210 Laptop with a 6 Cell battery, I get a shitty 15 mins of power backup compared to 2 hrs on Microsoft Windows XP.
And woo, On my IBM T43 running Microsoft Windows XP, I watched a full movie on battery, and it still survived.
The Linux running laptop had no sound enabled.
Yes, Yes Yes!!! As many would say
- I wouldn’t have rolled out a kernel optimized for my machine
- I should have run a lightweight window manager like FVWM (not KDE)
- I should have not used binary only drivers
- And many more reasons………..
But hey, Microsoft Windows XP has that too:
- It was playing a full movie under VLC (2+ hrs)
- It used the laptop’s in-built speakers
- It had the antivirus software and others running.
Linux still is way behind for laptop usage .